Flour Power City Bakery launches café

first_imgFlour Power City Bakery is launching its first bakery café in the new year, British Baker can reveal.The Lewisham-based bakery business will be opening the new outlet on 1 January 2013 on Monson Road in Tunbridge Wells, which will become the company’s pilot bakery shop.As a result of the move, Flour Power City has hired three new members of staff for the café and will be taking on a professional barista in 2013 to serve a selection of organic coffees alongside the company’s bakery goods.Lisa Brook, managing director of Flour Power City Bakery, told British Baker: “When I took over the business a couple of years ago, I inherited three shops, two of which we decided to close. However, the site in Tunbridge Wells I felt had potential and, come August, the franchisees who were running the shop decided not to run it any more.“So I could have closed it down and pay the lease off. However, after meeting Mary Portas earlier on in the year at the Pro-retail show, hosted by independent national wholesaler Palmer & Harvey, I took a look at the shop and thought I would have a go at it.”She added that the shop will receive around £10,000-worth of investment, which includes the refurbishment of the site and equipment.“My vision has always been to have Flour Power cafés, but it’s all about regeneration rather than leaving another empty shop on the high street and employing people, and it’s something that I know we can make work.”Flour Power City Bakery currently employs 45 members of staff and produces approximately 70,000 handmade bakery products each week. It supplies its range of organic breads and to such customers as Leon Restaurants.last_img read more

Read More »

Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach This Weekend

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Parks officials baked a cake in the shape of the Jones Beach Water Tower to mark the 10th anniversary of the air show.UPDATE: “Due to inclement weather, today’s Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach is canceled. The show will go on as scheduled for Sunday, May 26, from 10 AM to 3 PM.” — Jones Beach Air Show officials. Long Islanders are expected to flock to Jones Beach for the 10th annual Bethpage Air Show this Memorial Day weekend, a welcome respite from the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.Over the roars of the aircraft practicing for the show, George Gorman, deputy regional director of New York Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, shared his enthusiasm for the reopening of the Jones Beach Boardwalk and his optimism for this year’s show. He expects a quarter of a million spectators, same as in 2011, the last year that there was not a military performance.Debuting at the airshow will be Rob Holland Ultimate Airshows, the Raiders Demonstration Team, the Misty Blues All-Woman Skydiving Team and the Miss GEICO Speedboat.  Also, Dusty, star of “Disney’s Planes” will be making his first air show appearance. It will be The Royal Canadian Air Force F18 Demonstration Team’s second time performing for this event.According to Kirk Kordeleski, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bethpage Federal Credit Union, which sponsors the air show, the event is a great tribute to the nation’s service men and women. He also sees it as a chance to give back.“We must recognize that Long Islanders are still in need,” Kordeleski said. He suggested that visitors purchase $10 “Rebuilding Long Island Shore to Shore” t-shirts from tents on the boardwalk because proceeds go to United Way of Long Island’s partner program with Bethpage to support Long Island families affected by Hurricane Sandy.“We’re pleased to be here and are amazed that it was rebuilt,” said GEICO pilot Jim Record, representing the airshow’s performers.Gorman said the event contributes $15 million to Long Island’s economy. In honor of the airshow’s 10th anniversary, he served a cake featuring a replica of the famous Jones Beach Water Tower.This year the air show also have an app that gives users up-to-the-minute information on parking field availability, full access to listen to the show live and the ability to listen to live aircraft-to-tower communications from Republic Airport.The airshow is scheduled for Saturday, May 26 and Sunday, May 27 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.  Parking is $10.last_img read more

Read More »

SIXTY SECONDS IN TOUCH

first_img· It’s official! Coffs Harbour and the ATA are a couple once again. We’ll all be converging on Coffs for the 2005-2007 NTL’s. 13 constituent bodies and regions have also been issued with permits to compete at the 2005-2007 NTL’s (see stories on the website for full details) · Need a new cap or t-shirt for your struggling wardrobe? Check out the merchandise on sale on the ATA website for a bargain. · In what NSW touch are describing as one of the best all-schools finals ever, Kingsgrove North came back from 3-0 down to force the boys final into a drop-off before eventually losing 4-3 to Tomaree. In the girls Kelly Pepper led St Paul’s Port Macquarie to a 4-3 win over Terrigal, her player of the final performance helping St Paul’s defend their 2003 title. · Benji Marshall may be one of the best new things in NRL footy but he’s also played a bit of touch, and while he’s sidelined for a few weeks with an injury, the Wests Tigers keep playing and their website keeps running. Check out the player profile on Benji for some interesting and slightly useful information such as…If Benji could have three wishes he would marry Delta Goodrem, sing like Craig David and be able to fly! · Learn to play like Tony El Takchi, Gab Rose or Jason Stanton as the NSWTA and some of Australia’s leading players hold a training camp for kids 12-16 years old with either beginner, intermediate or elite skill levels. The camp will be held from the 5th-7th October, check out the NSWTA website or contact them for more details. · Touch balls hitting frozen fingers…ouch…The ACT’s winter competition commences on May 17. With temperatures already dropping down in the minuses overnight, it’s a chilly few months ahead for touch footballers in the nation’s capital! · The SASSSA (South Australian Secondary Schools Sports Association) is holding the finals in their knockout championships in Adelaide on 19th and 20th May. · Happy Birthday to Mellissa Craft, the ATA’s recently married awesome Travel Merchandise Manager, who celebrated her birthday on Saturday May 8. No, she won’t reveal her age. · The Victorian Touch Association is looking for a men’s open coach, if you’re interested (and suitable), check out their website and have your application in by Friday 14th May. · The Australian Uni Games are back in Perth in September, a little touch and a lot of fun for those involved, and event organisers are looking for volunteers. Visit their website to check it out. · The Toowoomba Touch Association deserve a mention in our weekly snapshot for their website efforts, including info, pictures, up-to-date results and ladders as well as game reviews. By Rachel Moylelast_img read more

Read More »

10 months agoEx-Arsenal boss Wenger back on AC Milan agenda

first_imgEx-Arsenal boss Wenger back on AC Milan agendaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is back on the agenda of AC Milan chiefs.TMW says Wenger is the frontrunner to land the Milan job – should it become available.The Frenchman left the Gunners last summer after 22 years in charge.According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Rino Gattuso has two games to save his job.Milan sit fifth in the Serie A table and are desperate for Champions League football next season.They lost to Fiorentina yesterday and Gattuso must now beat Frosinone and SPAL between now and December 29 to save his job.Wenger is the favourite to replace the Italian, with former Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis now in charge at Milan. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More »

Facebook expresses concern over Sri Lanka ban

The government has refused to end an island-wide blackout on Facebook until the tech giant agrees to take quicker action to remove hateful content.Sri Lanka blocked the social network after police warned online hate speech was fuelling violence as mosques and Muslim businesses were burned in a week of unrest, mainly in central Sri Lanka, that left at least three people dead.”We are responding to the situation in Sri Lanka and are in contact with the government and non-governmental organisations to support efforts to identify and remove such content,” a Facebook spokesperson told AFP.”We are concerned with the way access to the internet is being restricted and depriving people of important connections and expression, and we hope that access will be restored soon.”A state of emergency was declared and internet services suspended entirely in Kandy, the worst-hit central district, for several days last week as authorities sought to disrupt the riots.Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando said Tuesday Facebook had told the government it lacked sufficient “resources” to effectively review content in Sinhala, the language of Sri Lanka’s majority ethnic group behind the violence.Facebook said it was increasing staff numbers but gave no further details.It is believed to have 14,000 staff across the globe tasked with reviewing offensive content and the number is tipped to rise to 20,000 by the end of this year.Censorship and media oppression was used widely by strongman president Mahinda Rajapakse, who for a decade in power ordered local internet providers to block anti-government sentiment online.His successor President Maithripala Sirisena was elected in 2015 promising an end to draconian government restrictions, but some websites critical of the government were blocked even before the ban on Facebook. Citation: Facebook expresses concern over Sri Lanka ban (2018, March 14) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-03-facebook-sri-lanka.html © 2018 AFP Explore further Facebook said Wednesday it was responding to Sri Lanka’s concerns over incendiary material shared on its platform and hoped internet restrictions imposed during anti-Muslim riots last week would be lifted soon. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Sri Lanka to tackle online hate speech, says military Sri Lanka has refused to end an island-wide blackout on Facebook until the tech giant agrees to take quicker action to remove hateful content read more

Read More »

Facebook hit with class action suit over facial recognition tool

Facebook’s facial recognition tool, launched in 2010, suggests names for people it identifies in photos uploaded by users Citation: Facebook hit with class action suit over facial recognition tool (2018, April 17) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-04-facebook-class-action-facial-recognition.html The ruling comes as the social network is snared in a scandal over the mishandling of 87 million users’ data ahead of the 2016 US presidential election.The facial recognition tool, launched in 2010, suggests names for people it identifies in photos uploaded by users—a function which the plaintiffs claim runs afoul of Illinois state law on protecting biometric privacy.Judge James Donato ruled the claims by Illinois residents Nimesh Patel, Adam Pezen, and Carlo Licata were “sufficiently cohesive to allow for a fair and efficient resolution on a class basis.”Consequently, the case will proceed with a class consisting of Facebook users located in Illinois for whom Facebook created and stored a face template after June 7, 2011,” he said, according to the ruling seen by AFP.A Facebook spokeswoman told AFP the company was reviewing the decision, adding: “We continue to believe the case has no merit and will defend ourselves vigorously.”Facebook also contends it has been very open about the tool since its inception and allows users to turn it off and prevent themselves from being suggested in photo tags.The technology was suspended for users in Europe in 2012 over privacy fears.Also on Monday, Facebook confirmed that it collected information from people beyond their social network use.”When you visit a site or app that uses our services, we receive information even if you’re logged out or don’t have a Facebook account,” product management director David Baser said in a post on the social network’s blog.Baser said “many” websites and apps use Facebook services to target content and ads, including via the social network’s Like and Share buttons, when people use their Facebook account to log into another website or app and Facebook ads and measurement tools.But he stressed the practice was widespread, with companies such as Google and Twitter also doing the same. A US federal judge in California ruled Monday that Facebook will have to face a class action suit over allegations it violated users’ privacy by using a facial recognition tool on their photos without their explicit consent. Facebook’s facial recognition violates user privacy, watchdog groups plan to tell FTC © 2018 AFP This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Explore further read more

Read More »