How Arsenal’s squad has reacted to Mikel Arteta’s first training sessions

first_imgHow Arsenal’s squad has reacted to Mikel Arteta’s first training sessions Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 24 Dec 2019 1:03 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link5.7kShares Mikel Arteta will take charge of Arsenal for the first time at Bournemouth on Boxing Day (Picture: Getty)Mikel Arteta has left a positive impression on some of the more sceptical members of Arsenal’s first team squad following his initial training sessions.The former club captain’s appointment as Unai Emery’s permanent successor was finally confirmed last week, and the 37-year-old watched from the stands as Arsenal laboured to a goalless draw at Everton last weekend.Arteta officially started his new role on Sunday and has led several training sessions ahead of Arsenal’s next fixture against Bournemouth on Boxing Day.According to the Athletic, via the Ornstein and Chapman podcast, several senior players were dubious about Arteta’s credentials given his lack of experience.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTPierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s brother even tweeted his dismay over the decision to install Pep Guardiola’s former assistant at Manchester City as the new head coach. Comment Bournemouth v Arsenal: Mikel Arteta pre-match press conferenceTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 9:07FullscreenBournemouth v Arsenal: Mikel Arteta pre-match press conferencehttps://metro.co.uk/video/bournemouth-v-arsenal-mikel-arteta-pre-match-press-conference-2075672/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.But Arteta’s start in his new job is said to have impressed some of the doubters in the ranks, while he immediately attempted to assert his authority during a rondo exercise.Several players tried to outwit their teammates using tricks and flicks, but Arteta bluntly pointed out ‘You don’t do this during the match, so why are you doing it now?’Arteta is still putting his backroom team together, meanwhile, with the likes of former Everton No.2 Steve Round and Brentford goalkeeping coach Inaki Cava Pavon likely to join imminently.Current Wales No.2 Albert Stuivenberg is also a target, while Freddie Ljungberg, who had been holding the fort on an interim basis following Emery’s departure, has been invited to stay on.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘I spoke to Freddie after the [Everton] game,’ Arteta confirmed on Monday. ‘I told him my idea and the people I wanted to bring to form my coaching staff, their roles and responsibilities of each of them.‘I wanted to know what he was feeling, I wanted to know what he had in mind, what his expectations were. We talked and we made a decision that the best thing was for him to stay with us.‘I think he knows the players, he knows the situation, he knows the history of where we’re coming from and also his knowledge of the game is going to really help us to be better.’MORE: Mikel Arteta wants to add Albert Stuivenberg to Arsenal coaching staffMORE: Arsenal have no option to recall William Saliba in January transfer window Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More »

Wolf Administration Celebrates State Investments to Support Regional Façade Program Benefitting Route 6 Communities

first_imgWolf Administration Celebrates State Investments to Support Regional Façade Program Benefitting Route 6 Communities March 16, 2017 Economy,  Press Release Kane, PA – Today, on behalf of Governor Tom Wolf, Department of Community and Economic Development Secretary Dennis Davin participated in a press conference with leaders from the PA Route 6 Alliance and the PA Wilds Center and Planning Team to launch a regional façade program for communities along Route 6 in the Pennsylvania Wilds.“Initiatives that encourage revitalization and business development are critical for the strength and vitality of Pennsylvania’s communities,” said Governor Wolf. “The funding that the PA Route 6 Alliance received will benefit efforts all along Route 6 in McKean, Potter, Tioga, and Warren counties – restoring façades and improving signage – to help bolster the economic well-being of the region’s businesses, communities, and residents.”Announced in February 2017, DCED will provide $183,000 to the PA Route 6 Alliance to establish a façade and signage improvement program to target communities along the Route 6 corridor through the Keystone Communities Program. The funding will allow for 32 façade projects and 50 signage projects to be completed.“The Keystone Communities program allows for assistance to be tailored to meet the specific needs of a community’s revitalization efforts,” said DCED Secretary Dennis Davin. “It is designed to create partnerships between the public and private sectors that foster support for local initiatives that promote growth and stability, social and economic diversity, and a strong and secure quality of life.”The project was also supported with additional funding made available by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ Community Conservation and Partnerships Grant Program.“DCNR is delighted to participate in this shared investment strategy by the state agencies as it truly exemplifies Governor Wolf’s ‘Government that Works’ philosophy,” said DCNR Secretary Cindy Adam Dunn.The launch event was held at The Laughing Owl Press Company, a growing small business in downtown Kane that represents the type of applicants the PA Route 6 Alliance plans to include in the initiative.“We are thrilled that our state partners have decided to invest in this project with us,” said PA Route 6 Alliance Executive Director Terri Dennison. “It is going to create a lot of opportunities for communities and businesses in the region. We are still working out the details of the program, but anticipate it will be a matching grant program that will fund about 32 façade projects at $5,000 each, as well as make smaller matching signage grants available to 50 retail and host site establishments involved in The Wilds Cooperative of PA, a visitor experience the PA Wilds Center is working to curate and grow.”Established in 2003, the PA Route 6 Alliance aims to preserve, enhance, and promote the resources of the PA Route 6 Heritage Corridor. The alliance implements the management action plan, branding and marketing plans, community development programs, and other planning efforts along the corridor. Its membership includes representatives from all 11 counties, nine convention and visitor bureaus, four heritage areas, local development districts, local business owners, chambers of commerce, and other interested parties along the corridor.center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Read More »

Governor Wolf Extends School Closure for Remainder of Academic Year

first_imgGovernor Wolf Extends School Closure for Remainder of Academic Year SHARE Email Facebook Twitter April 09, 2020center_img Education,  Press Release,  Public Health Secretary of Education Implements State-Level Waivers to Ensure Continuity and FlexibilityGovernor shares video message to students, parents and educatorsContinuing his efforts to protect the health and safety of students and communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Tom Wolf today announced that all schools will remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year. The governor made the decision in consultation with Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine and Secretary of Education Pedro A. Rivera. Students and families can continue to pick up meals at designated sites.Although schools are closed, teaching and learning may continue: schools are strongly encouraged to provide continuity of education for all students in the most appropriate and accessible ways possible. PDE has secured resources intended to help all schools that want to use them – including those not currently offering online platforms, those requiring additional technology support, and those that may rely on traditional methods, such as paper lessons, to continue educating students. There is no cost to schools or students for these resources.“We must continue our efforts to mitigate the spread of the virus during this national crisis,” Governor Wolf said. “This was not an easy decision but closing schools until the end of the academic year is in the best interest of our students, school employees and families.”Secretary Rivera said the administration’s primary consideration has always been to make the best decision in the context of student and community health and safety.“While the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic and its mitigation efforts have created uncertainty in our schools and communities, today’s action to close schools for the remainder of the academic year provides school communities with predictability and understanding of the conditions under which they’ll be operating and serving students,” Rivera said. “As schools and communities adapt to the prolonged school closure, PDE will continue to work with our state, educational, and business and nonprofit partners to meet the needs of students.”Today’s decision applies to all public K-12 schools, brick and mortar and cyber charter schools, private and parochial schools, career and technical centers and intermediate units. All Department of Education early learning program classrooms, including those for Pre-K Counts, Head Start Supplemental Assistance Program (HSSAP) and Preschool Early Intervention, will also remain closed.Colleges and universities may not resume in-person instruction or reopen their physical locations until the governor permits them to open or lifts the closure of non-life-sustaining businesses.Schools will remain closed though the end of the 2019-2020 academic year as it is defined by the local school calendar.Under the state’s directive, schools could begin summer programming on the day after their academic year ends.Secretary Rivera added that all re-openings will be contingent on public health guidance provided by the Secretary of Health and stay-at-home orders issued by the governor.In addition to the school closure announcement, through his order Secretary Rivera also took action that will ensure crucial stability of education programs. Under Act 13 of 2020, the secretary has exercised his executive authority to adjust requirements for the evaluation of professional employees and waive student teaching requirements that may not be possible in the context of school closures.“By taking these actions, the department is providing flexibility in the near term, while signaling that core functions of public education can and will continue,” he said.The department has been providing ongoing guidance to school communities in the form of FAQs. The guidance information is available at education.pa.gov/COVID19.For more information about Pennsylvania’s education policies and programs please visit the Department of Education’s website or follow PDE on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.View this information in Spanish here.last_img read more

Read More »

Chelsea close in on Schurrle

first_imgAndre Schurrle’s projected move from Bayer Leverkusen to Chelsea has moved a step closer after the Bundesliga club’s general manager said a fee has now been agreed. Schurrle, who is understood to have agreed personal terms with the Blues, is on international duty for Germany in the USA and will likely head straight to London to finalise the deal following his release from the national team. The 22-year-old is set to join the Europa League winners in a reported £20million deal that will see Belgium international Kevin de Bruyne move in the opposite direction on loan. “We have reached an agreement with Chelsea,” Wolfgang Holzhauser told the Rheinische Post newspaper. “They are going to buy Andre Schurrle for a specific fee and, in return, they will loan De Bruyne to us for a year for free. “I expect Chelsea to stand by what has been agreed.” De Bruyne’s involvement was key to the agreement being struck, but speculation linking the player with Champions League runners-up Borussia Dortmund had thrown the deal into doubt. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More »

Argentina players stage coup against under fire manager Jorge Sampaoli – reports

first_img Argentina’s defeat to Croatia has left them on the brink Argentina got off to a bad start after only managing a draw against Iceland in their opening Group D clash and broadcaster TYC Sports claim the players have had enough and have staged a coup against their manager in an attempt to save their campaign.TYC Sports have also said that president of the Argentina Football Association Claudio Tapia has told Sampaoli that he does not have control over the players.This is not the first time a team mutiny has spoiled a heavyweight nation’s World Cup campaign, with the French team at the 2010 tournament led by Nicolas Anelka and Patrice Evra staged a mutiny against the unpopular Raymond Domenech.Argentina must beat Nigeria in their final game on Tuesday otherwise they will be getting an early plane ticket home.You can listen to the game live on talkSPORT from 7pm. Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli has fallen out with the rest of his squad and is “no longer making decisions”, according to reports in the South American nation.The two-time World Cup winners are in dire straits after suffering a 3-0 pummelling at the hands of Croatia on Thursday, leaving them facing the prospect of an early exit from Russia.center_img 1last_img read more

Read More »

Equine herpes outbreak appears to be contained

first_imgOLYMPIA – Washington horse owners can begin to breathe a little easier, as it appears the recent outbreak of the neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus 1 (nEHV-1) has been contained. Concern about this potentially fatal disease of horses spread like wildfire throughout the state in May, causing many organizers to cancel long-planned horseshows, rodeos, trail rides and parades. The state veterinarian believes that sufficient time has elapsed for signs of nEHV-1 to appear in horses exposed at the National Cutting Horse Association Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah, as well as their stable and pasture mates. Dr. Leonard Eldridge is recommending that any horse that has not tested positive, exhibited symptoms or been exposed to a confirmed positive horse be cleared for travel.“I continue to recommend that horses that are confirmed positive for nEHV-1 or were exposed to a positive case be isolated for 28 days after all symptoms have cleared up,” said Dr. Eldridge. “While the animal may appear to have recovered, it can still transmit this highly contagious disease to another horse.”Horse owners may lift the quarantine on positive or exposed animals 21 days after the end of symptoms if they receive laboratory confirmation that the animal is no longer contagious.The state veterinarian’s office continues to recommend that event organizers request temperature checks of horses before and during events.Eight horses tested positive for the disease in Washington, four of which attended the Ogden show. None died from the virus, although one horse was put down for an unrelated health condition.last_img read more

Read More »

Green Deals Nest Thermostat E 133 shipped Reg 169 more

Source: Charge Forward Trusted eBay seller E-Techgalaxy (99.3% positive feedback from 60,000) offers the Nest Thermostat E for $133 shipped. For comparison, it sells for $169 at just about every online retailer, including Home Depot.  Nest Thermostat E delivers a variety of smart features that are designed to save 10% to 12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills, according to the manufacturer. You’ll be able to leverage your smartphone along with Google Assistant or Alexa to adjust temperatures and more. Rated 4.8/6 stars. If you need a lower cost alternative, consider this Honeywell option at $69 that drops some smart functionality. more… read more

Read More »